Let’s talk about happiness for a moment here, and let me ask you this:
ARE YOU HAPPY?
Confession: I have, at times, struggled with happiness. I’m not one of those people who is always looking for the bright side, or a glass half full, or squash all of my negative feelings down and refuse to acknowledge them. I mean, that’s just plain crazy! Now I’m not saying you should go through life grumbling about everyone who ever did you wrong and have a vengeance list either, but there’s got to be a happy medium there somewhere.
For me, happiness is (in no particular order):
- Taking my paddleboard out on a lake on a Tuesday morning for a leisurely paddle
- Hanging out on my patio with my dogs reading a book
- Vacation. Anywhere on vacation. But preferably a cruise
- Being by any body of water
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Sitting at my friends house on a warm summer night enjoying the weather and company
- Good quality dark chocolate
Some people think that they need to do these large scale things to cultivate happiness, but really, start looking around in the everyday life, find joy in the mundane, pick up a new hobby, watch your favorite movie for the 20th time, go outside and take a walk, treat yourself to a new outfit, book a vacation, go to your favorite restaurant, read a book, take a day off.
Don’t make things so complicated, find your happy place, and if you don’t know what it is, go create one.
In good hands,
Rebecca Tamm, LMT